Combined Defense services (CDS) is an examination which is conducted in order to recruit officers in Indian Armed Foces. The exam is conducted by UPSC. The minimum qualification required is graduation from a recognized University. There are different criteria for different services. Read complete notification about CDS 1 2019 given below for more information.
CDS 1 2019: Qualification
Only an Indian Citizen can apply for CDS. The qualification is different for all three services-
- Indian Army – A graduation degree is required from a recognized university.
- Indian Navy -The candidate must have a B. Tech. or B.E. Degree.
- Indian Air Force – The candidate must have either Physics or Maths in 10+2 or must have a B. Tech. or B.E. Degree.
Note: Final year students can also apply.
CDS 1 2019: Important Dates
- Date of Notification–31 October 2018
- Last Date of online Application– 26 November 2018
- Date of Exam– 3 February 2019
Visit: UPSC Online to apply now.
CDS 1 2019: Age Limit
The age limit for different academies is as follows-
- For IMA – Only male candidates are eligible who are born between 2nd January 1996 and 1st January 2001(both dates are inclusive).
- For OTA– Male candidates (married or unmarried) born between 2nd January 1995 and 1st January 2001 are eligible to apply. Women candidate can also apply for OTA. They must be unmarried women, issueless widow or issueless divorcees who have not remarried and who are born between 2nd January 1995 and 1st January 2001 (both dates are inclusive).
- For AFA – The age limit for AFA is 20 to 24 years at the time of admission into the course i.e. who are born between 2nd January 1996 and 1st January 2000 are eligible. The age limit is 26 years for the candidates who are holding a valid Commercial Pilot License issued by DGCA i.e. born between 2nd January 1994 and 1st January 2000 (both dates are inclusive).
- For NA – Only unmarried candidates can apply who are born between 2nd January 1996 and 1st January 2001 (both the dates are inclusive).
Note: The candidate of age below 25 years must be unmarried and are not allowed to get married during the training. Married candidates can also apply but neither they are provided with any married accommodation nor they allowed to live out with their family during the training period.
CDS 1 2019: How to Apply
The candidates who are eligible as per the above criteria can apply through UPSC website i.e. upsconline.nic.in. Visit the website and open the Application Form which has two parts – Part I and Part II.
1) Click on the link which is provided. A detailed instruction sheet will be displayed. Read all the instructions carefully in order to avoid any mistake.
2) After reading, click on the yes button in the bottom side of the page and you will be redirected to the Part I of the Application Form.
3) Enter your Personal info and contact details. Check before submitting. You will be provided with a registration id to access Part II.
4) In part II, you have to choose your fee payment mode i.e. through net banking or cash.
5) Upload a recent photograph and sign the form. Select the exam centre as per your convenience and submit the form.
CDS 1 2019: Exam Pattern and Syllabus
The exam is conducted offline. For admission in IMA, INA and AFA, the paper is of 300 marks and for OTA, it is of 200 marks. Negative marking is also allotted in this entrance exam. Questions are asked from English, Elementary Mathematics and General Knowledge Subjects.
The Syllabus of CDS is prepared by UPSC.
CDS 1 2019 – Selection Process
After the written exam, Personal Interview round is conducted. A candidate should be both mentally and physically fit for admission in the academy. The SSB interview consists of the first phase screening test which includes verbal, non-verbal and PPDT tests.
Only selected candidates are allowed to stay for the further tests.
The psychological test, GTO and interview are conducted in the 2nd phase and a conference is also arranged.
The successful candidates then appear for Medical Test. Medical tests are conducted at different levels. And then a merit is announced. The successful candidates are inducted into the academies.
Only online applications are accepted by UPSC. Admit cards for CDS exam are released online. They are released 3 weeks prior to the exam.
All the candidates who fall in the above criteria can apply.