SSB Interview and backlogs- these two when combined creates confusion among the defense aspirants. Several students ask this question that whether or not they can appear in the SSB Interview with an active backlog. If you have the same question, this article is for you.
First, we need to understand the backlog.
Backlog means an amount of work, which is not yet done but which should have already been done. In our context, it means the number of failed papers/ courses, which are not yet passed. It also means yet-to-be-cleared courses in the last/final year.
For different exams and entries in defense, there are different conditions for SSB interview and backlogs. These are explained below here.
A candidate is required to pass 12th class of the 10+2 pattern of school education or equivalent exam conducted by State Board or a University. Candidates, who are studying in 12th class, can appear for this exam. A candidate who wishes to join NDA can appear for SSB Interview while studying in class 12 or after passing class 12.
Those who have completed Degree course, if had any backlogs which were cleared in Final Year, they are eligible for CDS Exam. If you cleared the CDS written exam and got recommended in SSB, you must present the proof of clearing the backlogs as per the given date.
If you are still studying in the Final Year or semester, you are eligible to apply for CDS exam. But there is a condition. You should not have any active backlogs up until last year/ semester, the results of which have been declared already. You will also be required to submit proof of passing the Degree Examination which will reach Integrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defense before joining the course.
If you are still studying in the Final Year or semester, you are eligible to apply for the AFCAT exam. Again there is a condition. You should not have any active backlogs and have secured a minimum of 60% marks up to the last year/ semester, the results of which have been declared already till submitting the application.
Navy Direct Entries
For Navy Direct Entry, the overall percentage is considered for shortlisting of candidates. So no active backlogs are allowed.
NCC Special Entry
The last Special Entry 44 Notification does not mention anything related to the backlogs. So if you are eligible as per the other criteria, you can appear in the SSB Interview.
SSC Tech-Entry Indian Army
The last SSC Tech 50 and 21 Notification does not mention anything related to the backlogs. So if you are eligible as per the other criteria, you can appear in the SSB Interview.
The candidates who have secured 80-85%marks in PCM in class 12 can apply for it. So there is no provision for any sort of backlogs.
For the entry of Judge Advocate General Entry, there is nothing mentioned regarding backlogs. You should have all the documents while attending the SSB Interview.
- It is better if you go for SSB Interview after completing graduation and clearing your backlogs. Backlogs reduce your chances of getting recommended.
- Entries which require complete graduation won’t allow you to appear for the Interview. With backlogs, graduation is not complete.
- During the Personal Interview, it will get more difficult. The Interviewer will shoot back to back questions regarding your backlogs.
- If you clear your backlog before SSB Interview and present a certificate, you can attend the interview.
- For the CDS and AFCAT, there is no backlog policy during SSB Interview.
- The percentage cut-off for Navy is always high. Sometimes candidates with a backlog history (even if cleared) can not appear in SSB Interview.
- Those candidates who fail to submit their original documents before joining the academy, they are “candidates on bond basis”. They are given extra time to submit the originals. CDS entries allow this norm.
I hope this article clears your doubt regarding SSB Interview and backlogs. For other entries, my advice is that you should thoroughly read the notification. In case of any doubt regarding backlogs, you can always contact the SSB center.